This quick and easy Breakfast Burrito is loaded with spinach, sausage, eggs and cheese!
Sometimes there is no time to make a big hearty breakfast in the mornings. However, breakfast is said to be the most important meal of the day so I’ve got some tips to make breakfast burritos a breeze! While there are tons of variations you could try I love the combination of spicy breakfast sausage, fresh spinach, sharp cheddar cheese and scrambled eggs.
How to meal prep this breakfast burrito recipe?
While there are recipes for freezer friendly breakfast burritos I’ve never thought they had the same flavor and texture as fresh made wraps. So I prefer to make the meat ahead of time so prepping the wraps takes less than 10 minutes in the morning! Here are my best tips for meal prepping meat for breakfast burritos:
- Sausage: I brown the sausage and drain off any grease and store in the fridge in an air tight container. I find that I get about 6 breakfast burritos or breakfast sandwiches throughout the week.
- Bacon: Frying bacon can be time consuming so I prefer to cook it in the oven. This allows you to cook a much larger quantity at once without standing over a hot frying pan. I preheat my oven to 350 degrees, line a pan with foil and bake the bacon for 10-15 minutes until perfectly crisp. Then I remove it and place it on a paper towel lined plate.
- Ham: My grocery store sells pre-chopped ham, however another good option is buying the “Sunday style” ham. Those pre-sliced little hams are delicious and great for meal prep.
- Vegetables: I usually wash and slice or chop any vegetables I plan to use like bell pepper, greens or tomatoes.
Ingredients for quick breakfast burrito recipe
- Tortilla- size large. Use gluten free, regular, low carb or flavored- it’s up to you!
- Spinach- sauteed
- Cheddar cheese- shredded
- Sausage- use regular, spicy, Italian, or ground turkey, chicken or a plant based ground meat option
- Eggs- size large, scrambled
How do I make this easy breakfast wrap?
For this recipe I use already cooked sausage that I prep earlier in the week as a quick shortcut. So when I am ready to make these delicious wraps I heat a large skillet to medium heat and spray well with cooking spray or add a small amount of butter. Sauté the spinach (you can also add it to the wrap raw if you prefer) when the spinach is tender remove from the skillet and set aside.
Next, sprinkle cheese over the wrap and add to the skillet for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside. Scramble an egg to your liking and add the spinach, egg and sausage to the warm tortilla, wrap tightly and slice.
How to Store and Reheat this quick breakfast wrap
You can store this wrap in a few different ways. You can freeze it by wrapping it in plastic wrap and then putting the breakfast wrap into a freezer safe bag. This breakfast wrap will stay fresh in the freezer for up to three months. To reheat, remove from the plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight to defrost and then warm in the microwave in 30 second increments until it is warm enough for you.
To store in the fridge, wrap your breakfast burrito in plastic wrap and place in either a plastic container with an airtight lid or a plastic bag. This breakfast wrap will stay fresh in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, remove from the plastic wrap and wrap your burrito in a damp paper towel. Warm in the microwave in 30 second increments until your desire temperature is reached.
Other breakfast wrap ideas
A little meal prep can make a huge difference in how smoothly a week can go. I often make a few items during the weekend to take a little extra pressure off during the week. These are some of my favorites:
- Bacon, Egg and Jalapeno Breakfast Burrito
- Bacon, Egg and Ham Wrap with Honey Dijon Sauce
- BLT Egg Wraps (low carb + keto)
- Ham, Egg and Cheese Quesadilla
- 1 large tortilla (gluten free, regular, low carb or flavored)
- 1 cup spinach, sautéed
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cooked sausage
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- In a 12 inch skillet add a small amount of butter or spray well with oil. Sauté the spinach until tender and remove from skillet.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the tortilla and add to the skillet for 2-3 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from skillet.
- Scramble the eggs.
- Assemble the burrito by adding the spinach, sausage and eggs to the warm tortilla.
- Wrap tightly and slice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 burrito (nutrition calculated using a Carb Balance tortilla)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 379Total Fat: 27gCholesterol: 240mgSodium: 836mgCarbohydrates: 21.7gNet Carbohydrates: 6gFiber: 15.7gSugar: 0.5gProtein: 23.7g