This easy White Bean Salad is packed with crispy bacon, salty gouda cheese, and a refreshing lemon vinaigrette.
White Bean Salad
I have always loved salads with unique flavors. My all time favorite salad is this Harvest Kale Salad. While the combination of cranberries, pecans and blueberries may remind you of Autumn, I eat this salad all year!
Years ago I had a salad with tender white beans, chopped red onion, cubes of salty parmesan and tons of greens. It was such a wonderful, unexpected combination of flavors, I had to recreate it!
Ingredients for White Bean Salad
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need for this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling.
- Salad greens: use your favorite variety such as chopped romaine, kale, or a mixture.
- Bacon: crispy, cooked bacon that has been chopped into small pieces.
- Cheese: Gouda is the preferred cheese for this salad, but another semi soft variety, such as gruyere will work.
- Vegetables: red onions and parsley add great flavor.
- Vinaigrette: this recipe includes lemon juice, olive oil, honey, dijon, salt and pepper.
Can I use canned beans?
Yes, this recipe calls for 15 ounces of canned white beans, also known as Great Northern Beans. If you have dried beans you want to prepare freshly, that is an option as well.
How to Make Lemon Vinaigrette
This dressing comes together so easily. Simply combine your fresh lemon juice, olive oil, honey, dijon, salt and pepper and you’re good to go! For this recipe we actually use the dressing to marinated the white beans. This gives them amazing flavor and when you toss the salad it is naturally dressed.
If you are a person who really loves dressing, you might want to make a double batch of the vinaigrette to drizzle extra over your salad.
Tips for the Best White Bean Salad
- Drain and Rinse the white beans quite well. There is no need to pat them dry, as they will be soaked in the dressing.
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium size bowl. Add the beans and allow them to chill while you cook the bacon and prepare the rest of the ingredients. You can soak the beans up to 1 day in advance.
- Cook your bacon long enough so that it’s nice and crispy.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Absolutely! Since the beans need to marinate, I recommend marinating them and storing until you are ready to serve. One easy way to meal prep this salad would be to place it in a jar, with the greens at the bottom and layer the cheese, onion and bacon on top of that. Add the beans (this way there is a barrier in between the beans and the greens) and you’re ready to grab and go! If you don’t have jars, these meal prep containers are perfect for salads.
What to Serve with White Bean Salad
This salad is the perfect compliment for an impressive table. I served mine with this Perfect Roast Chicken and Keto Three Cheese Biscuits with Keto Strawberry Shortcake Bars for dessert. This salad is ideal for summer, and what screams summer more than grilling out? Try these Grilled Sesame Shrimp Skewers with this Keto Fruit Pizza at your next get together!
More Salad Recipes
- Harvest Kale Salad: This Kale Harvest Salad features sweet blueberries, dried cranberries, toasted pecans and a tangy Apple Cider Vinaigrette!
- Easy Wedge Salad: This Easy Wedge Salad is a simple low carb, keto-friendly side dish! Chilled iceberg lettuce is topped with tangy blue cheese, crispy bacon and tomatoes for a refreshing dish!
- Classic Cornbread Salad: This Classic Cornbread Salad is the perfect Southern Summer food! It’s the ideal meal prep potluck dish to impress family and friends.
White Bean Salad
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed well
- 4 ounces salad greens (your favorite variety)
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 1/2 cup Gouda cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the vinaigrette ingredients and stir or shake until completely combined. Taste and add additional honey or lemon based on your preferences.
- Add the drained and rinsed white beans to a bowl and pour the dressing over them. Chill while you prepare the rest of the salad.
- In a large bowl place your salad greens in the bottom, then add the cheese, cooked bacon, red onion and parsley. Add the marinated white beans and toss the salad. Serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1 1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 25gCholesterol: 27mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 30gNet Carbohydrates: 21gFiber: 9gSugar: 2.9gProtein: 16g