These Chicken Burrito Bowls are filled with fajita chicken, veggies and protein packed beans! This is the perfect healthy recipe for meal prep or a busy weeknight that your whole family will love!
What is a Burrito Bowl?
This Chicken Burrito Bowl is a perfect blend of cilantro rice, fajita seasoned chicken, peppers, and onions, mixed with spicy corn and delicious black beans. The chicken is marinated, giving it tons of flavor that you just can’t resist! Enjoy with your topping of choice, or mix it up and place in a tortilla.
The chicken and beans in this burrito bowl are full with protein, so it will keep you full for hours. This meal is an easy, healthy meal that is perfect for busy weeknights! It’s also great for meal prepping and is delicious heated up!
Ingredients for Chicken Burrito Bowls
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients you will need to make this recipe. To get the complete, printable recipe just keep scrolling.
- Vegetables: Bell peppers, Fire roasted corn, Red onion, Garlic, Limes
- Black beans: drained and rinsed. Pinto beans are also great in this recipe!
- Chicken: You can use my fajita chicken recipe, or a rotisserie chicken in a pinch.
- Prepared Cilantro Lime Rice, or this Cauliflower Rice for a low carb option.
How to Make a Burrito Bowl
First, combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, red onion and spices in a small bowl. Pour 3/4 of the fajita marinade over your chicken and cover. Place in the fridge and allow to marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to several hours. Next, heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add oil to the pan and add the chicken. Cook your chicken 3-4 minutes on each side, or until it reaches 165 degrees F.
Next, add the bell peppers to the skillet and toss with the remaining marinade. Cook until the peppers are tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. In a bowl, add your cooked rice, corn, black beans, chicken and peppers. Add whatever toppings you like!
Best Burrito Bowl Toppings
This burrito bowl is so easy to customize to your personal tastes. Here are a few ideas:
- Chuy’s Jalapeño Ranch: seriously this is a dead ringer for your restaurant fave.
- Sour cream, Guacamole, Salsa, or Pico de gallo
- Cheese: shredded cheese or a homemade queso like this one
- Tomatoes, Chopped Avocado, Green Onions, Cilantro, and Shredded Lettuce
- Zesty Slaw: always great on tacos and the perfect addition to these burrito bowls!
Are Burrito Bowls Healthy?
Yes they are! These chicken burrito bowls are so nutritious while also being very low in fat and calories. The chicken and black beans provide a very large amount of protein to fuel you all day long. Bell peppers are also excellent sources of vitamin C and fiber and corn is a great source of whole grains!
Meal Prep Burrito Bowls
I love to meal prep- it’s a life saver for those really busy weeks. These containers help to make my weekly meal planning a breeze! I made these chicken burrito bowls on a Sunday, so we enjoyed them for dinner and I had made enough so that I knew I would have plenty of leftovers for my week! If you’re meal prepping for a large family, this recipe can be easily doubled.
Other Mexican Recipes
- Spicy Drumsticks with Mexican Rice
- Instant Pot Carnitas with Keto Coleslaw
- Layered Taco Casserole
- Pollo con Queso (keto + low carb)
Fajita Chicken and Veggies
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 cups bell peppers, sliced (mixed colors)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons red onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Burrito Bowls
- 1 (15 ounce can) fire roasted corn, drained
- 1 (15 ounce can) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (5.5 ounce box) cilantro lime rice, cooked according to directions
For the Fajita Chicken and Veggies
- Combine the oil, lime juice, garlic, red onion, and spices. Pour 3/4 of the marinade over the chicken and marinate at least 30 minutes, or up to several hours.
- Heat a large skillet to medium heat. Add just enough oil to cover the bottom of the skillet. Add the chicken and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and cook through. Add the bell peppers to the skillet with the chicken and toss with the remaining marinade. Cook about 3 more minutes until the peppers are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
For the Chicken Burrito Bowls:
- To assemble the bowls add: 1/2 cup cooked rice, 1/3 cup corn, 1/3 cup black beans, 2/3 cup chicken, and 1/2 cup fajita peppers. Top with sour cream, salsa and guacamole if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1 Bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 397Total Fat: 10gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 471mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 28g