Coming together with only seven ingredients, this Chicken Taco Soup is a great healthy option for dinner tonight! This delicious soup can be made in the Instant Pot or the Slow Cooker!
Chicken Taco Soup
Do you ever crave just a warm, hearty bowl of soup? I know I sure do! This Chicken Taco Soup will satisfy your every soup craving! This soup is made with chicken and black beans, making it a healthy, protein packed meal! This chicken taco soup is also super simple to prepare, and you can even make this soup in either your Instant Pot or your Slow Cooker to make it even easier!
Chicken Taco Soup Ingredients
As always, here is a quick overview of the ingredients used in our Chicken Taco Soup. For the complete recipe, just scroll to the bottom of this page.
- Black beans: drained and rinsed
- Southwest corn: if you only have regular corn, that will work fine
- Tomatoes with green chilies: also known as Ro-Tel
- Chicken breast: another cut of chicken such as boneless, skinless chicken thighs will also work.
- Taco seasoning- if you’re looking for a homemade recipe, check this one out
- Tomato paste: adds a rich delicious flavor.
- Chicken broth: homemade or store bought stock.
Easy Chicken Taco Soup recipe
To make this taco soup, first place the black beans, corn and tomatoes with green chilies in a stock pot or Dutch oven. Add uncooked chicken, taco seasoning, tomato paste and chicken broth. Bring the soup to a simmer over medium heat.
Reduce heat to low and cover the soup. Allow it to cook for 30 minutes and shred your chicken when tender. Add chicken back to soup, stir and serve! If you enjoy a topping to your soup, try sour cream, avocado or one of these Keto Soup Toppers! This soup is naturally low in carbs, making it a great option for those on a low carb diet!
How do you make Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup?
To make this soup in the Instant Pot simple add all of the ingredients to the pressure cooker, secure the lid and set the cooking time to 12 minutes. Once the pressure cooking cycle completes allow the machine to naturally release pressure 10 minutes.
Release the pressure, remove the chicken from the soup and shred. Stir back into the soup and enjoy!
Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup
Add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and place the lid on top. Set the slow cooker to 4 hours on high or 6-8 hours in high. The soup is done when the chicken is tender and shred easily. When ready to serve the soup remove the chicken, shred and stir back into the soup.
How many calories in Chicken Taco Soup?
This soup is a healthy, hearty dinner recipe! Each serving of soup contains 218 calories, 25 carbs, and almost 7 grams of fiber. Because it has 24 grams of protein and loads of vegetables this meal is sure to keep you full!
What to serve with Chicken Taco Soup?
I served this soup with this Mexican Cornbread– I highly recommend using a cast iron skillet for cornbread. I also love these Sweet Potato and White Cheddar Cornbread Muffins. If you’re keto, try these Chaffles for an awesome low carb dipping option! All of these Keto Soup Toppers are delicious and perfect for this recipe! My husband is a huge fan of these Keto Three Cheese Biscuits, which are perfect for soup!
Tips for the best easy Chicken Taco Soup
- Drain and rinse your black beans and corn! This gets rid of extra starch and sodium that tends to collect in the cans.
- I highly recommend using the southwestern corn- it adds a great level of spice.
- Evenly spice your chicken. If you’re looking for a homemade taco seasoning recipe, I’ve got a great one here
- If you prefer a thinner consistency to your soup, then add more chicken broth. I like mine a little bit thicker, so I used three cups, but you can always use four!
- Pinto beans are equally delicious in this recipe. If you don’t have black beans use canned pinto beans in a pinch.
- While this soup is not spicy, you can use regular canned or fire roasted tomatoes instead of the tomatoes with green chilies.
- In lieu of chicken you can use browned ground beef, ground turkey, or ground chicken if you prefer.
- Want to kick up the flavors a bit? Stir in one 1 ounce packet of Ranch seasoning for a delicious Ranch Chicken Taco Soup!
How to store and reheat easy Taco Soup
To store this soup, place in a plastic or glass container with an airtight container and place in the fridge. This soup will stay fresh for up to four days. To reheat, you can either warm on the stove top in a small pot on medium heat, or in the microwave. If microwaving, warm in 30 second increments until your soup is warm enough for you.
More Chicken Soup Recipes:
- Instant Pot Chicken Spinach Soup (low carb + keto)
- Keto Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Chicken
- Easy Sicilian Chicken Soup (keto + low carb)
- Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Soup (keto + low carb)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can southwest corn, drained and rinsed
- 1 (10 ounce) can tomatoes with green chiles, undrained
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1 (1 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 cups of chicken broth (4 cups if you want a thinner soup)
- In a stock pot or Dutch oven add the drained corn and black beans, as well as the undrained tomatoes with green chilies. Next, add the uncooked chicken breast, taco seasoning, tomato paste and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a simmer over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow the soup to cook on low 30 minutes. When the chicken is tender, remove from the soup, shred and add back to the soup.
See the post for Slow Cooker and Instant Pot instructions.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1 1/4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 218Total Fat: 3.1gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 1145mgCarbohydrates: 25.3gNet Carbohydrates: 18.5gFiber: 6.8gSugar: 4.9gProtein: 24g