Crunchy iceberg lettuce is wrapped around thick slices of pepperoni, salami and smoked Gouda! At about 3 net carbs this Italian lettuce wrap is the ultimate low carb, keto friendly lunch!
When I first tried out a keto diet, one of my go to snacks were those delicious little mozzarella sticks, wrapped with salami or pepperoni. In those early days, when I was still learning what you can and cannot eat on a keto diet. I found that to be one of the only foods that did feel simple and easy to find.
Fortunately, after some time I finally got the hang of it and my options expanded. But I still love the simplicity of a good Italian meat and cheese combo and that is why I created this delicious Italian Lettuce Wrap!
It’s no secret that I love a good lettuce wrap. This Keto Turkey Club is one of my go-to lunches. And you must love them too, because this Keto Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wrap is by far the most popular recipe on this site! There is something so satisfying about cold, crunchy lettuce packed with meats and cheeses!
Ingredients Needed for keto lettuce wraps
- Lettuce- any type you prefer
- Gouda- I used smoked
- Pepperoncini Peppers
How to make an Italian Wrap?
First, in a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise and sliced Pepperoncini peppers and set aside. Next, tear a 12 inch square of wax paper to use as your base. Place 2-3 lettuce leaves in the center of the paper so they slightly overlap creating a solid barrier.
Following this, add sliced smoked Gouda in the center. Top with the Pepperoncini mayo, sliced salami and pepperoni. Use the wax paper to help you wrap it tightly, like a burrito and slice down the center when ready to eat. That’s it! The perfect keto lettuce wrap!
Tips for making great keto lettuce wraps
- Build a base: use wax or parchment paper to create a solid base to help you roll your wrap tightly. Lettuce can tear or shift as you roll and this is the perfect way to secure it. It also makes it easy for packing in a grab-and-go lunch!
- Use the correct lettuce: you probably already know that different varieties of lettuce have different qualities. If you want a good crunchy wrap be sure to use fresh iceberg lettuce. Romaine is a close second for crunch as well. Alternatively, if you prefer a softer lettuce that you can really stuff without tearing too easily, use Bibb lettuce.
What are some easy low carb side dishes?
Generally wraps are paired with something like potato chips or fries. However, if you are watching your carb intake you might find it difficult to find easy side dishes you can have. Some of my favorite easy keto friendly side dishes include:
- Greek Cucumber Salad: great for meal prep and less than 4 net carbs per serving.
- Crispy Zucchini Fries: my favorite fry substitute and only about 4 net carbs per serving.
- Asparagus and Mozzarella Salad: the lemon basil vinaigrette is amazing on everything!
- Keto Cheesy Bread: under 2 net carbs each and delicious dipped in warm marinara!
Is lettuce keto?
Yes! Lettuce is a great option for substituting bread or a tortilla while still staying on a keto diet.
Other Easy Low Carb Lunches
- 2-3 Iceberg lettuce leaves
- 3 slices large deli Pepperoni
- 3 slices large deli Salami
- 1 slice smoked Gouda
- 1 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Pepperoncini Peppers, sliced
- In a small mixing bowl combine the mayonnaise and sliced Pepperoncini peppers, set aside.
- Tear a 12 inch square of wax paper to use as your base.
- Place 2-3 lettuce leaves in the center of the paper so they slightly overlap creating a solid barrier.
- Add sliced smoked Gouda in the center. Top with the Pepperoncini mayo, sliced salami and pepperoni.
- Use the wax paper to help you wrap it tightly like a burrito.
- Slice down the center when ready to eat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 wrap Serving Size: 1 wrap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 398Total Fat: 35.6gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 859mgCarbohydrates: 4.1gNet Carbohydrates: 3.6gFiber: 0.5gSugar: 2.1gProtein: 15.1g