This Grilled Caprese Quesadilla requires just 4 basic ingredients and creates the perfect easy Summer meal!
Do you live for good, juicy summer tomatoes? Me too! There is nothing quite as satisfying as a garden fresh tomato, especially when paired with fresh mozzarella! Today I am sharing the easiest summer meal. It also happens to be vegetarian and easy to make low carb or gluten free!
I think this is a great option when entertaining; just pair it with a few different sauces and serve a big platter of warm, cheesy quesadillas for the ultimate easy entertaining! I personally love this served with a bit of pesto, or a balsamic reduction. This is an easy recipe to customize based on your personal preferences!
Ingredients for Caprese Quesadilla
As always, this is a quick overview of the ingredients needed for this recipe. For the complete recipe and instructions just keep scrolling.
- A large tortilla: you can use regular, low carb, gluten free or flavored.
- Tomatoes: any variety will work, see notes below.
- Fresh Mozzarella: thickly sliced, fresh, low moisture mozzarella.
- Basil: garden fresh basil.
You can also add salt, pepper, balsamic vinaigrette, a balsamic reduction or fresh pesto if you wish.
What kind of tomatoes should I use?
This recipe is very flexible. You can use your favorite variety of tomatoes. This summer we had Cherokee Purple, which are an amazing heirloom tomato. This variety of tomato has an odd purple tint to its coloring, but don’t let it’s appearance fool you. The flavor is unmatched! This tomato is slightly sweet and not overly acidic.
We also grew celebrity tomatoes, which is what you see pictured. They are lovely, plump tomatoes that are great for sandwiches and wraps.
How do you Grill a Quesadilla?
We love quesadillas! One of our favorite varieties is this Pizza Quesadilla, it is a quick and easy way to get your pizza fix! In the summer I often grill our quesadillas, along with a few veggies, for a complete summer meal!
Grilling your quesadilla instead of cooking on the stove top provides the same crisp texture, but adds an amazing flavor! It is definitely our favorite way to enjoy quesadillas. Just follow these simple steps for the best results:
- Heat your grill to medium high heat, approximately 375 degrees.
- Clean your grill grates well, so they are free of grease and debris.
- Lightly butter or oil the outside of your tortilla and place directly on the grill.
- Watch carefully, the tortillas cook quickly, keep a watchful eye so they do not burn.
What can I pair with a Veggie Quesadilla?
Fresh mozzarella, a garden ripe tomato and robust basil provide a pretty incredible flavor combo in and of itself! However, if you want to look for some other dishes to serve with this fresh Basil Pesto is a must! Some other side dishes include:
Other Caprese Recipes
- 1 large tortilla
- 3 thick slices fresh mozzarella
- 3-4 thick slices fresh tomato
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a grill to medium heat, approximately 350 degrees F. Clean the grill grates so they are free of debris.
- Lightly brush or spray the outside of the tortilla with cooking oil.
- Place the tortilla, oil side down, directly on the grill. Place the fresh mozzarella along one side. Cook the tortilla approximately 3 minutes or until the tortilla has browned an the cheeese has begun to melt.
- Remove from the grill and add the fresh tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1 Quesadilla (calculated with Carb Balance tortilla)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 125Total Fat: 3.2gCholesterol: 5.1mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 22gNet Carbohydrates: 5.5gFiber: 16.5gProtein: 14.7g